| 0 comments ]

You can always count on a pocket square to add flair and panache to an outfit. (I hope I don't have to tell you how to fold one. If so... I'll look the other way while you click here.) I get a little self-conscious wearing a pocket square to the office, though; I worry that anything other than the plain single-fold might come across as too flashy, even uppity. But one day, I had a wonderful stroke of luck while trying to achieve that perfect devil-may-care spray of asymmetrical points:

Pocket square, Hugo Boss. Jacket, H&M. Shirt, Tristan. Tie, vintage.

Such a unique shape! But what on earth was it? At the time, I thought it looked like the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain:


But only today did I realize that this impression wasn't accurate. What it actually reminded me of was a piece of furniture: the "Tatlin" sofa, designed in 1989 by Mario Cananzi and Roberto Semprini, and manufactured by Italian furniture company Edra:


Cananzi & Semprini's design was based on a tower designed (but never constructed) by the Russian architect Vladimir Tatlin. The sofa might already be familiar to you if you're a Star Trek fan; it featured prominently in the Next Generation episode "The Most Toys," where it belonged to the unscrupulous trader and collector Kivas Fajo.

As for the pocket square? It was raining that day, and by the time I got to the office and took off my trenchcoat, the fold was ruined. I could've probably tried for half an hour and still not succeeded in duplicating it. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to do it again...

0 comments

Post a Comment